Congo – FTO – SOPACDI Cooperative B9453
We are over 5600 farmers from different ethnic groups in the Kivu Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, producing some of the finest coffee in Africa. After years of conflict and civil war, our Fairtrade-certified coffee promotes working together for a better future.
We live in a beautiful but very difficult place.Our small communities are remote, scattered amongst the highlands of the mountains surrounding Lake Kivu in the Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Our coffee grows at an altitude of 1460m to over 2000 meters above sea level.
We have lived through civil war and in great poverty for many years, but since forming our cooperative Sopacdi, despite our challenges, we also feel full of hope.For the first time we have good buyers for our coffee, who buy from us directly. Our homes are basic, without electricity, running water and other amenities. But our families are back together and we are re-building our communities.
Our headquarters are in the town of Minova, and we have just finished building the first coffee washing station the region for over 40 years.
- The first coffee in the DR Congo to achieve top national grade – Kivu 2 – since 1967
- Specialty fully-washed arabica coffee
- Organic certification
- FLO certification number 26275
- Main harvest from March to June; fly crop from September to October
- Shipments from June to December
- Altitude 1460 to over 2000 meters above sea level